Wednesday, March 30

Slow and Steady Wins the Race ~ 4 Week Update

I must admit, when I began this journey and finally scheduled the hysterectomy, I thought I had my age to my advantage in regards to the recovery. Surely a 28 year old would have absolutely no trouble recovering from this major surgery. . . or so I thought. . .

So, here I am, nearly 4 weeks after my surgery and I am nowhere near where I thought I would be in terms of recovery. I am still requiring medication to help with the pain. I still wear a patch behind my ear for nausea. I still must rest after almost any activity. While tremendous progress has been made, it has not been to my liking in terms of the pace. . .

While I was sharing these emotions with a lady who watched me grow up, she was quick to remind me that while I am only 28, my body has been through SO much. I have endured 6 abdominal (and 1 knee!) surgery in 24 months. I have had to have a blood transfusion and the majority of my surgeries came with complications. Simply stated, my body is tired, weak, and desperate for a break. It is evident in the amount of time that it is taking to recover. . .

Today, I went to my surgeon for a follow up. I had my list of questions and my kleenex to wipe my tears. As soon as he opened the door, the tears began to flow as I explained my frustration with this recovery. He looked at me and told me that I am much farther along in this recovery than he expected me to be. That he had to do a lot of work in my belly. That, for him, this was not an easy surgery. . . I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor! He was proud of me and impressed with this recovery that I am beyond depressed about! He did not think that I was sliding backwards. He saw all of this as steps in the right direction. . .

So, while I am not making progress as fast as I would like, it is being made faster than my doctor expected and for that, I rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment