Tuesday, May 10

Waiting and Praying

I am just returning from my 2nd nerve block. There are a few things about this one that are quite different from the 1 prior. . .

1.) I was not able to answer my docs questions during this one as the sensations were SO different, not pain, just different. My right side felt this deep ache and heat like sensation. After a few moments, it felt heavy as well. . .comparable to the spinal during a c-section.

2.) My doc went "deeper" into the nerve causing my entire right leg to lose feeling, hence the sensations above!
When he finished and I went to get off of the fluoroscopy table, I nearly fell flat on my face, but thankfully my doc and the tech were right there to save me. . .(I knew that my leg felt funny as I went to get off, but I thought that I could still feel it!) They brought in a wheelchair and I had to sit in that for the next 90 minutes until I was able to walk enough to get out of there! 4 hours later, it is still numb, but I am able to move it a little better. . . The great news is that until about 30 minutes ago, I felt absolutely NO pain! WOO HOO!

3.) This is the last nerve block they will give me. . .

So now, I sit patiently and wait for this one to work. It will take about 24-48 hours for the steroids to begin working. Once they do, I should get some relief and hopefully this time, it will last because if it does not, I will have to return to the OR* for the 8th time since the baby was born 26 months ago. . .

Waiting and praying is what we do for the next week until I return to the pain doc. Waiting for the steroids to work and praying that they stick. Even a simple surgery is not what I want. I do not think that I mentally could do another surgery, but physically I need relief. . . So waiting and praying. . .


*To my understanding, this surgery would be at an outpatient surgery facility. After I am sedated, they will make one, possibly two, incisions similar to that used to insert a laparoscope in order to reach the nerve. From this point, he will "freeze" the nerve to provide relief. I will go home and be pain free!

No comments:

Post a Comment