Tuesday, May 24

12 week Progress Report (Some TMI)

I can hardly believe that in just over a week, it will be 3 months since the surgery. I must say that all of my pre-op fears of feeling less of a woman, less of a wife, less of a mother were incorrect. I am absolutely no less of a mother, wife, woman than I was 3 months ago. . . And, all of the physical issues I was battling prior have all diminished! The only remaining issue is that stubborn nerve, which is secondary to the primary issue and, I pray, will be resolved soon. . .

I do wish that I had been told quite a few things prior. So for anybody facing a hysterectomy, here are some things I wish I had been told about that I personally experienced:
  • Fatigue! There will be a lot of it and it will last for quite a while ~ I still must take a 'rest' midday.
  • Urinating can be very difficult and painful. You may experience some very painful bladder spasms, so do not let you bladder fill up.
  • Having a BM in the beginning is incredibly painful as all of those structures have been manipulated and man handled!
  • Your belly will swell. Make sure to have plenty of elastic waisted clothes and/or dresses. And just when you think you have passed that point, it will come back full swing!
  • No matter how careful you are, you will gain weight.
  • You will experience many dramatic mood swings even if you have 1 or 2 ovaries remaining.
  • If your cervix is removed, you will notice a change in odor and discharge when the cuff stitches dissolve. And it can be unpleasant! (At 12 weeks, I am still waiting for 1 to completely dissolve. . . Frustrating!)
  • Regardless of the cervix, you might experience sharp, almost stabbing pains in your vagina. They will take your breath away. . . Even at 12 weeks out, I still have this!
  • Because of the change in PH with a hysterectomy, you might experience many yeast infections which you can not treat with external creams only pills!
  • Nausea ~ I experienced this for the first 7 weeks post-op. . UGH!
  • It takes up to 1 year for your body to completely heal from a hysterectomy! I have spoken to many women who have had the 'swelly belly' and fatigue for a year or more. . . I sure hope that mine does not last nearly that long!!!

In the end, I am grateful that I had it. Like I stated earlier, all of my issues prior have been completely resolved. The pain from the endometriosis and adenomyosis are gone along with all of the awfulness associated with them. No more periods that require a blood transfusion afterward. No more of so many things that I need to be thankful for and that I need to focus on. . . Now onto that stubborn nerve!

No comments:

Post a Comment